Get a quote

Sound Testing

There are two types of sound test - airborne and impact. Airborne tests are carried out on walls and floors separating dwellings, impact tests are carried out on floors separating dwellings.

Sound testing.

From 2003, Approved Document E states that all new UK builds, flats and attached houses, must undergo pre-completion sound insulation testing. These new builds must achieve impact sound test results of no more than 62dB (decibels) and airborne sound loss of no less than 45dB. Converted properties must achieve impact results of 64dB or lower and airborne sound loss of no less than 43dB. Approved Document E sets out details pertaining to the resistance to the passage of sound.
Sound insulation testing, or pre-completion testing must be carried out on new build properties as well as converted properties. Unless Robust details have been adopted and registered with Robust Details Limited.
The essential purpose of sound insulation testing is to ensure that walls and floors are reducing an acceptable amount of noise. Part E of the Building Regulations for England and Wales, therefore, requires that various walls and floors are tested between adjoining dwellings. The exact number of required tests will vary depending on the overall size of the development.
Our engineers are accredited to carry out your testing through the Association of Noise Consultants registration scheme for compliance with Building Regulations.
Whatever your sound testing requirements give us a call and we can advise and offer testing to suit your needs.